Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Hangover Cure

As everyone at School of Mines knows E-days is this weekend! For those outside of the Mines community E-days is the weekend our wonderful school, parts of Denver and the city of Golden throw all of the aspiring engineers a party. Which means there will be massive amounts of alcohol consumed this weekend, but only by those of us over 21 of course. So I decided to do a very important post on hangovers and the medications taken for them. There are many options out there to choose from like Chaser, Sob'r-K Hangover Stopper, RU-21, Berocca and Rebound. So which is best and why?






Lets start off with a little background on how these pills work. Most hangover pills, as I understand it, have some form of carbon that filters out impurities from your drink kind of like a Britta water filter. These impurities combined with your bodies dehydration from the alcohol are what make you feel sick the next day, or so they claim.  


Much to my surprise though I can not find too many bad reviews on the internet. Everyone who has taken these pills other than RU-21 has said that they worked fantastic with Chaser and Nitekap seeming to be the best. I am still very skeptical though since most of these pills require you to take them with one or two large glasses of water around 4 times a night for moderate drinking. Most people do not normally drink that much water whilst drinking which could be a major contributer to no hangover. I will have to try to hold a study two nights over E-days one night where people take a multivitamin and lots of water throughout the night, and one night where they take the hangover pill as directed. My hypothesis is that the water and multivitamin will work just as well for much cheaper since hangover pills average about $1/pill. 


Have a great and safe E-days everyone. Stay safe, don't puke and rally. That is a great way to end up in a hospital.       

4 comments:

  1. What seems interesting about this is that everything I've heard about hangovers it that it has to do with dehydration and this has you drinking one or two large glasses of water 4 times a night. This makes me agree with you that it may just be the water more so than the pill itself, unless the pill has vitamins in it too... which again would lead back to just drinking water and taking vitamins.

    Maybe I'm wrong but my opinion would be that they don't actually do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I'm also thinking it's the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the picture. Poor body. I've only had one killer hangover in my life and it was right after I gave blood. I think that had something to do with it because I only drank about 3 glasses of wine the whole night. Maybe not having enough blood would fall into dehydration?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can definitely see giving blood leading to a killer hangover. Lowering the blood volume can in no way help the hangover situation. Lower blood pressure and filtration and massive loss of water from the blood drawn can lead to dehydration. I bet that is the most wasted you have ever been after just three drinks though.

    ReplyDelete